Sunday, September 8, 2013

Tips for Runners

Half Marathon training has gotten real.  Yesterday, we did 11 miles.  I'm sore this morning.  Well, I'm probably a lot sorer than the rest of the group because three of us messed up with the directions at some point during the route and we were lost.  Being lost isn't that bad unless it causes you to run some really steep hills.  We were on a never ending incline.  Anyway, when I'm running I think about everything and I started wondering if my form was correct as the back of my left knee started to hurt.  I found this really cool picture that demonstrates proper form and thought you all may find it interesting.  Also,below are a few running tips for beginners.

Running Tips:

  1. Start with a low mileage. If you can only run a few hundred feet, quarter mile, or half mile nonstop then that's where you should start.  Push yourself each week to go farther.
  2. Get fitted for a good pair of running shoes.  Your shoes are your foundation when running and they are important.  A good pair of running shoes may be expensive but they are well worth it.
  3. Don't run too often.  Experts recommend running no more than three to four times a week. Your body needs time to recover and it actually builds strength on recovery days.
  4. Drink plenty of water.  You should drink plenty of water before your run, during your run (especially if you are doing a distance run), and after your run. The slightest dehydration can affect your running.  I have it written all over my bedroom mirror and refrigerator.... Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  It helps me to be conscious of my water drinking habits.
  5. Don't compare yourself to other runners.  Sure, you can have a competitive spirit but your progress will not match other people's progress.  It is your run.  Run it at your pace. Enjoy your run!



No comments:

Post a Comment