Monday, March 10, 2014

Training Your Brain to Achieve Your Goals Seminar!

On Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending a seminar hosted by Black Girls Run!  The guest speaker was Dr. Stan Beecham, author of the book entitled: Elite Minds.  There were so many great takeaways from his talk on Saturday.  I will only highlight a few of those.

First, we all know that we are our own biggest critic.  The question Dr. Beecham posed was, "What gives you permission to judge and critique yourself?  We are quick to say we don't want to criticize or judge others but we do it to ourselves all the time.  I know in my case I do it all the time.  I'm harder on myself than I should be.  I don't really enjoy the small accomplishments because I'm always worried about what I have not accomplished. I'm working on breaking this habit.

He talked about wealth.  So, let me ask my readers, what is wealth to you.  Dr. Beecham stated that wealth has nothing to with the things we usually associate it with.  It has nothing to do with money and material things but it has every thing to do with the way you are living your life and your happiness.  How wealthy are you?

SUCCESS! Success isn't about desires but it is about actions.  We all desire to be successful and success looks differently for each of us.  What actions are you taking to be successful?  Success has no one path.  It all looks differently for each of us.  He talked about our misconception of success.  There is no one easy way to be successful but there is on path to failure. Quitting!  Giving up on yourself is the only way to fail.

Everyone has a calling and most of us will spend our entire lives not knowing what our calling is.  Just know if you have a calling and you try to run from it you will not have a moment of peace.  If you are called to do something and you avoid doing it, it will haunt you and you will not have peace until you complete what you were called to do.  You don't have to be totally comfortable to do something.  Most of us spend half our life working a job we hate to make money to live a life that we hate.  Know your calling and follow it.

This is a quick and dirty overview of the seminar.  Perhaps, the most important thing that stood out to me was the way he started his talk: You are the right age, at the right stage, the right race, at the right place and at the time... Basically, you are capable of doing whatever it is your heart desires.  Stop being your biggest critic and live your full potential.  You have no idea how far you can go and great you can be.

Check out his book: Elite Minds and hopefully you are inspired as I was by his discussions.  I am only 40% through the book and it has been inspirational! I'm sure I will blog when I have completed the book! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment